Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dyslexia (might be a bit controversial)

One of my twins has been diagnosed as dyslexic. She was the 2nd one born and the one who had the most problems in the hospital. They were born at 27 weeks. We began having behavioral problems with her when she was about 3. By about age 4 I knew something was not right. She would not pitch a fit if you told her no or disciplined her, but you could tell her to go get her shoes and it was the end of the world, she would scream for sometimes a couple of hours. So, I began to think that she was frustrated and could not explain to me why. Well, to make a long story short, after a lot of testing and pushing people to help me figure out what was going on, she was finally put into speech therapy with an auditory processing problem. Her speech therapist told me then that she was pretty sure she was dyslexic and at age 7 we had her tested and it was confirmed.
So, we have struggled a lot with reading and math all of these years. Many times I have felt ill equipped to teach her, but thankfully have been reminded often that our state does not recognize it as a learning disability, so the teachers here aren't equipped either.
Anyway, this past Sunday we had one of the Pastor's from our parent church preaching. He preached about God not being the author of confusion. 1 Corinthians 14:33 says "For God is not the author of confusion , He is the God of peace". While we were at church I was applying this to myself. I have lived the last several months in a very confused state about what my beliefs really are. My husband and I have been really searching the word to make sure that we know why we believe what we believe. We have different church backgrounds I grew up baptist, he grew up episciplaean and then became baptist as a teenager and now we are at an inter-denominational church. So, we wanted to make sure our beliefs were based on the truth of the Word and not just what we had been told from the pulpit. That's why I thought the sermon was for me.
Well, I can't tell you exactly when it happened. But, I know the Lord told me I needed to apply that to my daughter and stop calling her dyslexic, because by doing that I am speeking that over her. And He told me that I should start praying to break the spirit of confusion over her.
Okay, here's my disclaimer. I am not saying there is no such thing as dyslexia. I am also not saying that anyone is causing their child to be dyslexic. What I am saying is, this is my personal conviction for my child right now. I am sharing it with you to give a different perspective. Ask the Lord if it is for you. If it is great, if it isn't that's ok, too.
Anyway, I feel now like I need to treat this as if she were sick. I would be crying out to the Lord for her healing and not embracing a diagnosis. Maybe this will really help someone else. I don't know I just know that this is what I felt led to share.
Here is my prayer for her:
Lord, I ask that you will break the spirit of confusion that is over KG, I rebuke the devourer and remind him that he has no place in the mind of my child, for she is Your child first and You will protect her. I pray for clarity for her, that she will see clearly and understand everything that is placed in front of her. That her eyes and ears will be opened to things she has never understood before. I pray for peace in her mind and a calming of her frustrations and I proclaim her the healed of God. Thank you Lord for the cross, Your blood and the healing it offers. Thank You for Your promises. I praise You, Lord and thank You for what You are already doing in her and what You will continue to do. AMEN

No comments: