Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cheesy Chicken Recipe

This evening I was going to make chicken casserole. The one I usually make has ritz crackers on top. After I had the chicken and noodles cooking I went to get my crackers and of course the kids have eaten them all. Hence, the birth of a new recipe. Some of the ingredients were in a chicken spaghetti that my cousin made not long ago, so it's kind of a combo of the two recipes, but simplified. Here goes:
Cheesy Chicken Veggie Casserole
1 1/2 - 2 lbs. chicken, boiled, then shredded or diced
1 pkg. wide egg or no-yolk noodles
1 can cream of chicken soup (you can use 98% fat free)
8 oz. sour cream (can use light or fat free)
1 can rotel tomatoes, drained (I used mild)
2 cans mixed vegetables, drained
1/4 block velvetta cheese
8-10 slices american cheese
Prepare your chicken and put your noodles on to boil. In a seperate pot mix soup, sour cream, tomatoes, mixed vegetables and velveeta cheese. Heat until cheese is melted. When noodles are tender, drain and mix with soup and cheese mixture and place in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake on 350 for 20-30 minutes, until sauce is somewhat thickened. Place slices of cheese to cover top and put back in oven until cheese is well melted.
That's it, we didn't even add salt and pepper to ours and really didn't take me very long to put it all together. It was a big hit, and it was filling enough that we have enough leftovers for another meal.

No comments: