Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Life Lessons for a Homeschool Mom

Lots to cover today.
First of all we have been having a hard time with the kids and their chores. They always do them and don't give us attitude, but the quality of their work is not good. We have decided that we really need to work with them on giving their best. So, I told them that we could go swimming today if they got all of their chores done. Well, they did them but it was not good. I decided not to let them go swimming today (which was hard because the pool is only open during the week for one more week). I also sat down and revised their job descriptions (I have these posted in each room). I put on their everything they needed to do and what the room should look like when they are done, then I added a verse to each one. Here are the verses :
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24
Our people must devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives.
Titus 3:4
There may have been some better ones to use, but these where what I found. Then I sat them around the table and explained the problem that we have been having, told them what I expect of them and why and let them know what the punishment would be (today it meant no swimming, from now on it will be an added chore). All of this was a bit of a victory for me, because I usually just fuss at them and get frustrated. So, this is something I am trying to work on and I could tell this approach is going to be much more fruitful.

Next topic:
I've learned something that I think is going to make our school year much more fruitful this year. I am naturally a very unorganized person, I just don't know how to do it. So for years I've just accepted that. Well, it finally hit me that I wasn't supposed to accept it but to change it (kind of like we're not supposed to accept our sinful nature). I am beginning this school year with a lot more organization and planning (and more to do still). I have spent the day working on a schedule and a menu. I finally get that I shouldn't let the schedule control me, but guide me. I decided on a menu because I think it will make meals easier, grocery shopping easier and cheaper, and will keep the kids from eating so much junk for snack. I used to make out a supper menu, but somehow got away from that. This is a first for the Breakfast, lunch and snack menu, though, but i really think it's going to be much more helpful.
I think a lot of this organization was spurred on by a good friend giving me a Keepers at Home organizer.
Thanks, BJ!
Last topic (Kind of ties in with the previous one):
I've also decided that we need to simplify (which will make it easier to organize). We need to stay home more, plan a specific day to run errands go to the library, etc. Get rid of lots of stuff and just be more laid back in general.
I learned a couple of years ago that if I am feeling overwhelmed, anxious and stressed then I need to start praying and trying to figure out what I have placed on myself that God didn't give me to do. This has helped so much, and I am determined to have a much more organized, disciplined and simplified year. This always seemed stressful to me, but now I finally get how much freedom and peace it brings.
Thanks to those of you who have poured into me to help me learn these things (BJ and GD), I love you guys!!!!

No comments: