Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dog Gone It!

Well, as you may or may not know. This is a pet friendly household. We have 2 dogs and a cat (and just returned home to a dead fish). One of our dogs has decided that she does not like cars to drive down our road if she is in the house. When she is outside she really doesn't care. Living in an old home, we have windows that go to the floor and are single pane. I'm forever trying to get that dog to stop jumping on my windows. Maybe she just taught herself a lesson. One day not long ago Kelsi tossed a book up onto her bed (she's our bookworm) and it bounced off and hit the window, causing a small break in the glass, kind of like you would expect if it had been shot by a bb. I guess that weekend the glass. Yesterday Maddie jumped on the window and it shattered. I heard the glass breaking and ran to check it out. I was soooo mad that I sent her straight to the laundry room and I went to inspect the damage. It wasn't until later that I realized she had cut herself. On a dog there is a small pad in what I would call the ankle area and she cut herself just above that. It was a pretty bad cut, but I could tell it wasn't the kind that could be stitched, so we just closed it the way it should be and bandaged it up very well. This morning when I got up she had chewed on her bandage and bled through it. So, I took her to the vet and lo and behold she had to have minor surgery. They had to sedate her, remove the pad, then pull the skin together and stitch it up. We will have to take her back to the vet every couple of days for a bandage change for the next week and a half to two weeks and she will be on an antibiotic. It was so strange leaving the vet with my dogs collar and leash in my hand, but not my dog. I actually teared up a little. I called this evening to check on her and everything went well and we can pick her up tomorrow afternoon.

What in the world would I ever do without all of this excitement?

No comments: