Friday, November 12, 2010

Another Kitchen Creation....

I've been trying to be frugal about groceries lately and came up with another really yummy meal out of things I had on hand the other day.

I always cook my rice in the microwave. I haven't used any other method in at least a couple of years. I use one part rice to two parts water (for my family that's 2 cups rice and 4 cups water). I put it in a covered casserole dish, microwave on high for 5 minutes, then microwave on medium for 15 minutes and let stand covered for 5 more minutes.

For this recipe I put the rice on first and then begin with the rest of the ingredients. In a pot on the stove combine 2 cans blackeyed peas, 1 can rotel (can use mild or tex mex tomatoes), bell peppers and onions (I used minced dried) and smoked or polish sausage (sliced). I actually used little smokies that we had on hand. Bring to a boil, then simmer until rice is ready. Serve this over the rice and add salt and pepper to taste.

This was a hit with the whole family.

No comments: