Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Super Easy, Not So Greasy Boston Butt

Tonight for supper we are having shredded pork sanwiches with coleslaw and baked beans. I thought I'd share with you my method for cooking Boston Butt.

I put it in the crockpot on low overnight. The next morning I pour off all of the grease, pull out the bone and slice off the fat (once it's cooked it's easier than slicing butter). Then I put in about 1/2 a bottle of barbecue sauce (Honestly I can't tell a very big difference, no matter what brand I use) and I add 1/8 to 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. I just pour it in 'til I'm happy with it. Then I let it cook on low most of the rest of the day (My crockpot has a warm setting, so I will eventually switch it to warm). I check it periodically and use a fork to shred a little each time I check it. That's it, the whole process....I think you'll be surprised that you barely notice it doesn't have a smoked taste, like the barbecue joints have. The pork really supplies it's own flavor and it is GOOD!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pretty clever idea. I shy away from the butt because of all the fat. But I know it makes good BBQ. Of course, you can't really even BUY butt here in yankee land. Sad. I use pork loin for mine. It's good, but more fat would make it perfect.