Saturday, June 5, 2010

Quick Buttermilk Biscuits

This recipe is from The Southern Living Cookbook. My grandmother gave it to me when I got married and it is my go to favorite. On top of recipes, there are lots of educational sections. I want to find something similar for my girls hope chest.

Quick Buttermilk Biscuits
1/2 c. cold butter or margarine (I use light butter)
2 c. self-rising flour (you can use 2 c. all-purpose; 3 tsp. baking powder; 1 tsp. salt)
3/4 c. buttermilk

Cut butter into flour w/ a pastry blender until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 3 or 4 times (I tend to skip the kneading). Roll dough to 3/4" thickness; cut with 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425* for 13-15 minutes. Yield: 1 dozen (3 WW pts. each)

No comments: